Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lipstick and a Quilt

I have been a little stir-crazy. I am not going to school during the day and I have been needing a little something to keep me busy (ok, not really I am already busy enough) But I got an idea in my head and couldn't get it out. I had an idea for decorating the boys' room. I had seen Camille Roskelley's (Simplify) boys bedroom and loved it. So I thought I would get to work and spruce up the room and it definitely needed a little attention. So we painted it a light gray and I have been adding bright greens, dark gray, black, and turquoise to it. I am not quite done but I did order the cutest "I hope they call me on a mission print" from here that I can't wait to get. I also need to take a trip to ikea for some bright green shelves. We did finally get the wire hung that we had gotten at ikea last october, and I found the perfect dark gray curtains at target. I wanted to make a quilt for their room but haven't decided if it is going to go on Ethan or Preston's bed. They have trundle beds but in all honesty Preston's is rarely pushed in. The slipcover on Ethan's bed is perfect for their room already and I had picked it up at ikea also (I had this idea brewing for quite some time.) Anyways here is a picture of the quilt before it was all put together. It was also missing quite a few blocks so it has a different feel to it now. I was still waiting on two fabrics in black and white so what I added helped give it a little less color. I LOVED the way that it turned out. This is the first quilt that I have made where I picked out all of my own fabrics and it was tons of fun. I do a lot of my fabric shopping over the internet, which can be difficult when it comes to color. I am pretty familiar with all of the major designers and know their fabrics and colors but there were a few that I bought for this project that didn't quite work in the end. Oh well, I can always add to my stash right? Finding boy prints was also difficult. Fabric tends to be floral.... which wasn't going to work for this projects so we ended up with lots of strips and polka dots but in the end there is no hint of girl. I am going to quilt in with just vertical quilting to help even more in the masculine department.
Here is a stack of MOST of the fabric before I started cutting.

The finished quilt on Ethan's bed. Ethan found a picture of art class to hang on the wire RIGHT away. I am planning something with modge podge, fabric, scrapbook paper, and the word "brothers" to hang on this, we will see how long that takes me :) I will post some finished pictures when I get everything done, but don't hold your breath, it may take awhile.


Aubrey is such a little mess maker. I cannot even begin to describe the amount of or magnitude of her messes. She is unlike any of my other children in this department. Yes all of my kids have gotten into things and made messes but this little princess is in a league of her own.



Here she had gotten into my purse and found my favorite estee lauder lipstick. It was a fun and trendy red and I had really been enjoying wearing it. I also loved that it was a nice quality lipstick, which I don't get too often. Well she used her little fist to grab pretty much all of the lipstick out of the tube and then proceeded to use rub it in her hands like lotion, coating EVERY crevice and surface with my lipstick. But she also proceeded to get it on the carpet, her face and pajamas, and Preston. She was so coated in the stuff I had to take a picture. I am going to try and be better at taking pictures of her masterpieces (messes) so that she will understand just how destructive she was. And it gives me proof that I am not joking when I tell Josh that his daughter is CRAZY!




2 comments:

Tora Family said...

WAY cute quilt! I need to learn how to quilt.

Wow - Aubrey IS quite the mess maker. At least you had the frame of mind to take a picture and kind of laugh about it. I would have been freaking out at:

#1) my expensive lipstick is gone
#2)lipstick getting on other things...since it's hard to get out
#3) if she ate any of it

I'm a "fun-sucker"

Patsy said...

Seems like just a few years ago I was pulling little Aubrey's mother out of the sink full of dirty water that she crawled up into when I went for a second into the laundry room. Oh yes and that was her that embelished the front entry with permanent blue marker and it was her that ate the spider, the mushrooms, and the dogs steak which got her bitten in the face!!! I should have pictures of all that to show you! I would say she takes after her mother!!! Love you!