Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Four Eyes

Well, it was really only a matter of time before one of my children got one of my not so wonderful traits. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Ethan was playing his MarioKart on the Wii while he was about an arms-length away from the TV. Hmmm... it was a strange sight and not just the usual "I am a kid so I want to sit close" kind of situation. He looked really weird because he was standing up too. So I remembered that and figured that I better make an eye appointment for him. Of course I didn't. Then something happened a couple of days ago while we were out as a family so when we got home I grabbed a notebook and a big black sharpie. I had Josh hold Ethan on his lap and I wrote out letters in block format like at the eye doctor and we gave Ethan our own homemade eye test. He failed. Josh and Kendra could read it all just fine but Ethan was struggling. So we got him an eye appointment on Monday and sure enough he needs glasses.

He was actually really excited to be getting glasses and his prescription is strong enough that he will need (and most likely want) to wear them all of the time. I was glad that we were able to catch it early and before school started. But seriously the kid just turned 7! He is really going to be in for it. His mother can't even read the big "E" at the top of the eye chart. I am sure that his eyes will only get worse as he grows up like mine did. But in the meantime he is just happy to see the leaves on the trees and many other things that the world now offers him.

We got him two sets of glasses. One a little more contemporary and bolder then a nice pair of blue wire-rimmed ones. Josh and I both like the bolder, thicker frames and I was worried that he wouldn't like them as much, but they are his favorites! He is looking super stylish now and can't wait to go to school to show them off. We headed to the park right after picking up his glasses and I just had to laugh as he told random kids that he wears glasses. His excitement was too cute.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I can't read the big E at the top of the chart either! LOl Yay for four eyes! He looks like a stud!